Whether you are looking for answers to commonly asked questions, educational documents to supplement your learning or forms you can use in the course of your role as CASA/GAL volunteer, we have organized them all in one place for your convenience.

Documents & Forms

Commonly Asked Questions

Who to call when:

Contact your advocate supervisor to make the hotline call together.  If you are not able to reach your advocate supervisor, call 1-800-25-ABUSE and then call the appropriate law enforcement agency.

Please call Nydia Molina, CASA/GAL Attorney at 630-444-1306 or email at

Contact your advocate supervisor immediately for further guidance.

We have staff that can assist with Spanish interpretation. If you need an interpreter contact your advocate supervisor for assistance.

CASA volunteers may not transport children in care.  Contact your advocate supervisor to assist with travel arrangements for the youth with the agency, funded transportation and/or internal opportunity discussions.

Always contact your advocate supervisor and they will either help you solve the issue or talk to the appropriate person internally at the CASA office to better serve you.

Contact your advocate supervisor for further guidance to problem solve about other options. Never go somewhere that makes you feel un-safe or uncomfortable.  You can also call the Kane County Dispatcher

Community Questions:

Definitions to specific case related questions:

“CIPP” is short for Clinical Intervention for Placement Preservation.  A CIPP is a team planning process for all youth in care. It can be initiated by the caseworker, youth, family, caregiver or CASA/GAL/GAL.  The goal is to bring the youth’s stakeholders (his/her connections and the professionals involved) together to prioritize, develop, support and implement a plan going forward.

“CFTM” is short for Child and Family Team Meeting.  These meetings provide an opportunity for families and providers to communicate and work together effectively in the best interest of the child. CASA/GALs and/or their Advocate Supervisor should attend CFTM to make sure the best interest(s) of the child is heard.

“ACR” is short for Administrative Case Review.  An ACR is an independent review process required by federal and State law to make sure that children and families receiving services from DCFS or its contracted agency (i.e. LSSI, YSB, etc.) are in fact receiving those services to ensure safety, well-being and permanency.

In a Clinical Staffing, professionals from different disciplines come together to support the caseworker in making sure that the right services are in place to support the family and child(ren) in care during the rehabilitative process.

When a child in care is adopted, the adoptive parents assume all legal responsibility for the minor child.  The adopted child is given the same legal standing as children born to the adoptive parent.  In order for a child to be adopted, the parental rights of the natural or birth parent must be terminated.  Only after a child’s legal relationship with their birth/natural parent is severed, can they be eligible for adoption.  Once a child is adopted, any accompanying court case is closed. 

In a legal guardianship case, a “petitioner” may request that a minor child become his ward and that the petitioner be granted complete decision making over a child’s estate and person.  Unlike adoption, in legal guardianship, the rights of the birth/natural parents do not have to be terminated for guardianship of the minor to be granted.  When a petition for legal guardianship is granted, the court case is not closed.  The guardian must file a report annually – and appear before the judge – to give an oral report on how the child is doing.  Legal guardianship is not permanent.  Anyone can file a petition to terminate the guardianship (most commonly done by the natural parents when they are “fit and able” to re-assume their parental responsibilities).  Notably, minor children over the age of 12 are allowed to express their preference of who should be their legal guardian.